Tuesday, June 4, 2013

DIY Studded/Spiked Armbrace Legbrace, or Garter

I have had a few inquiries about the leg garters I've created and I promised this post a while ago, so I'm sorry for the wait!

Anyway, as many of you are aware I am a huge fan of accessories. I love finding new ways to wear things, and I truly believe that accessories can make or break an outfit. Shoes, jewelry, clutches, hairbows and headbands, makeup, I go nuts for the stuff. Maybe because (with the exception of purses and shoes) accessories are usually cheaper than clothes-thus it's easier to justify the purchase. Or maybe because accessories are amazing.

Naturally when I discovered that girls were making decorative garters and "leg braces" I was excited to get on board. The first pieces I came across are selling on Etsy for about $40 each. If you want to buy one, go check out Fox and Owl. They probably didn't pioneer the idea, but they're doing the best at it that I know of. But I didn't want to pay $40 for mine. If I were making them, I would probably sell them for close to that because that's how business works, but to me making them looked like more fun.
I started by making a few studded garters. Then I decided to try making one for my arm.

This post will show you how to make an arm "brace." I'm putting brace in quotations because it doesn't actually function anything like a brace. Maybe I'll come up with a more creative name later, or you can feel free to leave suggestions for me! After you look through this tutorial you will be armed with all the information to make a garter for your leg, or a brace for your arm, or something even cooler!

What You'll Need:

  • Black Elastic (or whatever color you like)
  • Pyramid studs, or spikes, or both (I buy mine here. They ship from Seattle so it's really fast. You can buy cheaper from Amazon, if you have time to wait until they come from China.)
  • A needle and thread, or a sewing machine.
  • Scissors
  • Pins (if you can't do it without them)
What to Do:
  • Take a piece of elastic and measure around the area you want to decorate. Make it a little snug. 

  • Sew the elastic into a nice circle. 

  • Trim the elastic down so there is a minimal overlap. If you're only making a garter all you have to do now is decorate it!

  • Repeat this process with another piece of elastic that is measured to fit the area nearby. 
  • Measure the distance in between. Cut a third piece and pin the pieces together so they don't move while you're sewing.  Attach the connecting piece on the inside so you don't have edges showing.


  • Add spikes and studs as you like them. I like to place them strategically to cover any visible stitches. 
Screw on spikes are very easy to add. Just pierce or cut a small hole, and slide the screw through. Then screw on the spike!

Pyramid studs stab right through the elastic. No need to make a hole first. 

I use pliers to bend the pyramid spikes nice and snug with the elastic. Make sure they are tight!

  • That's it you're done! Wear it proudly! But be careful if you used spikes ;)


Double-wrapped version and single studded garter.
If you'd like to do something different, try substituting cute buttons or beads for spikes or studs. You could also use fabric and velcro or snaps instead of elastic. I just use elastic because it's the easiest to fit.


Thanks for reading! 
XoXO




No comments:

Post a Comment