Sunday, June 2, 2013

How to Make Naturally Straight Hair Unnaturally Curly

I've said it before, I'll say it again. My hair is naturally straight. It's also thin. And it doesn't like to hold a curl very well.
But just to be difficult, I wanted to get as close as I could to an afro for a look at a recent shoot.
I modified the recipe for no-heat curls known as "cocoon curls" and this is what happened.

What You'll Need:

  • Dirty, unwashed hair
  • A spraybottle full of water
  • Some spraygel (optional)
  • A bandanna or headwrap

What to Do:

  • Take a small section of hair and spray it lightly with water. It should be damp, not wet. You can also spray a small amount of spray gel. Twist it until it is tight.

  • Place two fingers at the top of the twist and bring the hair up and behind, wrapping it around itself.

  • Wrap the hair around itself, with your fingers in place as many times as you can, while keeping it twisted.  


  • When you can't wrap the twisted hair around anymore, grab the tip with the two fingers inside the loop of hair, but don't pull it all the way through.
  • Slide the top of the knot down so that the loop tightens and holds the hair in place. The little tail should hang out so you can easily untie it the next day.

After I did this to all the hair on my head, using small, 2-3" sections, I wrapped it up in a bandanna and went to sleep. Luckily when I took out all the knots, it was exactly how I wanted it. HUGE.
I think next time I'll combine the faux hawk and these crazy curls for a whole new look!
Here's a sneak peek from the shoot!


Thanks for reading!
XOXO







No comments:

Post a Comment