Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Fast Simple Hairstyles (featuring Wanderlust Gems)

If there's one thing I hate in life it's routine. A lot of us don't have enough variety in our lives, mostly because of time constraints. Often, when we find something that works we stick with it. Makes sense right? Even I am guilty. I like to change my look a lot: I do my makeup differently or try a different look with my clothes. But when it comes to my hair? I've noticed it's pretty routine. I either wear it straight or curled. Up, or down. Not a lot of variety! So I've done a little research and come across a few styles that are not only different than what I usually do, but quick and easy so that I don't feel like it's a daunting task.

1. Braided Headband
This style can be done with straight or curled hair. It's simple, but adds a nice touch to an everyday style.

What you'll need:
Comb, small rubber band, (optional) bobby pins,
fun pins. These are from Wanderlust Gems
What to do:


Choose a section of your hair on one side.  The size depends on how big you want your braid.
Put the rest of your hair up to get it out of your way. 

Comb the hair directly upwards, then divide into three sections and braid.
I sometimes flip my head upside down to make this part easier, but the most important part
of this style is to start the braid upside down.

Once you've completed your braid you can spray a dab of hairspray to keep
 it from coming undone, or rubberband it. It just depends on what kind of hair you have.
This is when you let your hair down.

Wrap the hair across your head and pin into place.
It's important to have your hair down so that you pin it correctly.
(sorry it's hard to see because my hair is black)

Add the fun clips or pins to add visual texture. Less is not more, more
is more. 
Done. Pretty easy huh? 
2. Vintage
This style can also be done with straight or curly hair. I didn't curl mine because it's naturally straight but I may do a post in the future of a more in depth vintage hairstyle. Let me know if you want me to!

What you'll need: 
Comb (optional), "hair combs," (availabe at drugstores, cheap)  fun clips of your choice.
Once again these are Wanderlust Gems 
What to do:
Part your hair in the middle. Using your thumb or a comb, start at your ear and move to the crown of your
 head to grab a section of your hair. 

Twist the section of hair towards the center of your head.


Push the twisted section towards the front of your head to create a slight bump
Slide the little comb in to hold the hair in place. Curls hide these combs better than straight hair but just choose a color that's similar to your hair color.


Repeat the process on the other side. Remember to twist towards your part. 

Add hair pins underneath the combs to camouflage them more and add
 something else to your look. 

Yes, on both sides!
Done! This is what it looks like from the front. So easy!

3. Side Pony With A Twist

All you need for this style is a comb, a hair band, and some pins.

What to do:
If you have flat hair like I do, tease the crown a bit. NOT a lot.
On the side opposite of where your pony will go, grab some hair and twist it to the location of the pony.
This means no little strays, a nice look, and no pins stabbing the back of your neck. 

Once you've put your hair in the elastic, grab the longest piece and wrap it around the elastic to hide it. 

Then use the pins to hold the wrapped hair in place, and make your pony look more fun.
I usually tease the pony itself too, just because my hair is so straight and flat. 
 4. Wine-Thirty


Congratulations! You have 3 new styles at your disposal! Time for a glass
of Reisling. Feldspar wine-stopper by Wanderlust Gems. 

Just remember it's ok to let pins/clips show as long as it's obvious that you wanted them to. And don't be afraid to do a little something different with your look!

You can purchase any of the Wanderlust Gems hairpins or wine-stoppers here and go like the Wanderlust Facebook here. All the hair pins I featured in this post are either raw gemstones or ones the designer polished. She has a lot of cool accessories to see, and she finds all the gems herself! 

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. It's so cool to see what wonderful little things you come up with! Maybe just because I'm male, I haven't had the pleasure of being exposed to the myriad of things one can do with fashion, but it's nice to have a connection.

    Keep it up, and I'm going to like Wanderlust Gems right now. I might even buy something for Beth from them. I'll just have to figure out what the right piece is.

    ReplyDelete