Saturday, January 19, 2013

Going Gaga

Recently, my best friend and I attended the Lady Gaga concert in our area. Some people choose to dress up for the "Monster Ball" and some just grab a concert T-shirt and call it good. Needless to say, each of us spent many days and hours in preparation for the concert. When we got there we couldn't even figure out where the entrance was before we had people asking to have their picture taken with us. We got such a reaction I just wouldn't be a user-friendly fashion blogger if I didn't share the story of my costume with my lovely readers.  So here you are my dears:

The Inspiration:
I chose an ensemble from the Telephone video featuring Beyonce. I decided on this outfit because it was one of the only Gaga looks I could do without being naked entirely, or knowing an awful lot about couture. Plus it looked like fun to make :)
Hello Hello?

If only I had the Chanel glasses
The Process
I got a faux leather jacket for $20 from Ross, and a black bustier for $15 from Forever 21. Then I got about 200 spikes online. I would recommend getting them from Amazon if you have time to wait, they're cheaper but they ship from China. I think I spent about $50 on all the spikes, mostly because I was worried about time so I bought some from studsandspikes.com which is based in Seattle. Then I went to work. 


Before: Front 



Before: Back

Bustier Before
The best way to add spikes is to stab a hole where the screw goes through, and then shove the screw through. I had an awl that I used, but a nail could work too. I would recommend wearing tight fitting gloves if you have them because this process can be pretty tough on your fingertips. Scissors are useful as a helper too, but I wouldn't use them alone because it's too easy to make the hole too big, and then the spike has nothing to hold on to (no fabric between the spike and the screw) and it slips through. 


The smaller the spike, the smaller the screw
With the awl stabbed through the faux leather

Stabbing a screw through 


Be sure to screw the spikes on very tight

I was worried about symmetry and placement of each and every spike but realistically no one was looking as close as me. The more spikes I added, the more obvious it was that they didn't have to be perfect. 
To complete my outfit I wore black bunhugger panties (not a thong like Gaga) and some fishnets. 

Hair and Makeup

To emulate Lady Gaga's hair was definitely difficult. Putting pop cans in my hair didn't sound that hard, but it took me about an hour. I teased each section of hair and curled it the same direction as the can I was going to put it around, this way it wasn't being held in place by the can, but instead was holding the can in place. I used a lot of bobby pins and a lot of hairspray. This hairstyle was proof that anything is possible with enough pins and product. I wasn't worried about the clips or pins showing, since she has some showing, and I just wanted it to work.

For my makeup I used a wax on my eyebrows and then filled them in with dark brown shadow. I used a nude base for my eyeshadow with only a slight dark brown in the crease. I used cream eyeliner and put it on with an angled brush in a wide line that covered most of my eyelid. With the dark lip color it is important to use lip liner so that the color doesn't bleed away from the lip. The finishing touch was false lashes. I am not very good at putting these on, but I always use clear glue so I can make mistakes. Always put lashes on last. 

7 Diet Coke Cans, one determined little monster.

The Completed Look

With Paparazzi Gaga in the shoes I was too scared to wear all night

Remember she made her outfit too!
True little monsters.

Paparazzi Gaga and I on our way to the show

The full ensemble.

The Aftermath
After nearly freezing to death outside in 30 degree weather for more than half an hour with no pants, we finally got to see the amazing Gaga. The show was thoroughly entertaining. When we got home it was time for sweats, concert tees, and a hot cup of tea. But I still had this to deal with: 

After I took out the cans

Once again, anything is possible with pins and hairspray.


After I took out all the pins. A better view of the eyeliner too.

Hope you found it interesting. Thanks for reading! 









No comments:

Post a Comment