Sunday, April 21, 2013

Paint Your Own Graffiti T-shirt Tutorial

Inspiration comes from everywhere. The inspiration for this project came from a combination of 2 things: working for a company that specializes in screen printing, and coming up with ideas for shirts that I don't have the capability to make. Until now.
Now I am not about to start tooting my horn about my artistic powers, because honestly I am not an artist in the conventional sense. I am not excellent at drawing, painting or sculpture, although I dabble for creative satisfaction. But this was something I knew I could do. 
Here's how I did it. 

What You'll Need:
  • Fabric Paint-available at most craft stores. I actually picked this up at Walmart.

  • A shirt of your choice. I used an old one I had laying around. 

  • A piece of paper or cardboard- I used a paper bag from fast food. Classy, I know. 
Kitty!

  • Brushes and a pallete. I used a plate covered with saran wrap. I would get chalk too, but I didn't have any.

What To Do:
  • Figure out exactly how you want your design to look. Make sure to have the design handy so you can look back at it as you start your brushwork. 
My design. 
  • If you have chalk use that to map out where you will be putting the paint. I didn't so I just had to be careful. I did a once over with very thin lines instead of chalk. 

  • Go for it! It will probably take two coats to cover all the thin spots. Just be careful. Move slowly and steadily. 

  • Let it dry overnight and wear it out for everyone to see! 
How I wore it. 
About My Design: 
You may be wondering how I decided on the design I chose. Well, my boyfriend is a graffiti artist, and he has taught me a lot about the specific art form, as well as the culture associated with it. It's all very interesting, but as someone who is motivated by the way things look (fashion!) I find it to be especially pleasing aesthetically. The entire topic of graffiti is an interesting one because as a whole, popular culture loves graffiti for it's aesthetic pleasures. Graffiti is highly glamorized in photography, fashion, and art. But when someone paints on the side of a building, everyone hates graffiti, and it is seen only as a crime. Like I said, it's interesting, because graffiti isn't about painting in a controlled environment, or even selling it for money. It's about spreading art in a rebellious way. I think our country could use more art, but there's a fine line between artwork, and just vandalism. If you're going to paint on something, make it look good! 
Anyway,  I chose a graffiti font for the letters because I find graffiti interesting, and fun to look at. But there is more to the story. I made the letter 'A' into an anarchy symbol, and the 'O' into a sad/sick face. This is obviously not because I have a poor view of fashion. Moreover it is because fashion is chaotic. It is a monster that consumes so many, especially those that try to resist it. On the inside of my left arm I have a variation of a quote by an American essayist and poet Logan Pearsall Smith:
"She who goes against fashion is herself its slave"
The quote really spoke to me, and I felt it was a perfect fashion tattoo. The meaning is that if you try to go against fashion, you have to know what is fashionable. This ideology played into the choice of the letters on the shirt as well. All in all, I'm happy with the way the shirt came out. I know the message is not clear to the person who just sees the shirt. It just looks like an oximoron: a fashionable girl wearing a fashionable shirt that appears to condemn fashion. But you and I know what it means ;) It can be our secret.
Thanks so much for reading!
Xoxo






No comments:

Post a Comment