Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Another Way to Wear a Scarf

Inspirations: Menswear, Michael Kors
I was tempted to make this post about spring (probably because I saw snow in Seattle for the first time this year, which makes me long for florals and brights) but the world had something else in store for me today. I work at a high end shopping center with stores such as Louis Vuitton, Jimmy Choo, Tory Burch and Neiman Marcus. This means that most of the people who pass by my store are extremely wealthy, and some are also fashionable.
My inspiration came today when an older gentleman strolled by wearing a long charcoal grey wool coat, a black hat, and a lighter grey scarf. The way he wore his scarf was very clever. He had it wrapped behind his neck but instead of tucking it into his coat or letting it hang freely, the scarf was neatly tucked into the belt he was wearing around the outside of his coat. I really enjoyed his ensemble, especially because I like the look of a belted coat. It defines the waist, and can make even a loose coat look fitted.
Soon after my stylish gentleman sighting, I was looking at runway shows on style.com as I often do, when I came across these looks in the Michael Kors pre-fall 2013 collection (you can see more here):
Look 1: it is not a coat, but very similar idea.

Look 2: with a big warm scarf do we really need a coat? 


And since I'm such a fan of the belted look on a coat, it should come as no surprise that all my coats already have a belt. Here's a quick idea of how I would interpret the scarf-in-the-belt look:


Twisted and to the side with a bow

Wrapped and tucked.

Outside the coat completely:
inspired directly by the Michael Kors looks.
Let me just add that I bought this coat at Ross for $25.00 and the scarf from Nordstrom Rack for $15.00. This look is great because there are so many variables. I chose to add a splash of color to a black coat, but you can just as easily mix prints this way, add a thick belt or a thin one, or add texture with a large knit scarf. So many options! Have fun <3

No comments:

Post a Comment